How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Feb 13 06:05:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:30 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:59 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > How important are ISO standards to Fedora.  Does Fedora aim to adhere to
> > ISO standards where they exist.  For example, while a lot of people were
> > thrilled that the open office file format was made an ISO standard, what
> > bearing would this have had on Fedora.
>
> Open and unencumbered standards are important to Fedora. Whether or not
> the ISO ratifies them is of little consequence.

Right, so where does paper sizing fit into this?

Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?

I raise this for two reasons:

Firstly, the ISO standard on paper is what most of the world uses and
therefor seems to make a sensible default.

Secondly, if the ISO standard was the default size for paper, I'm
guessing the totally broken way that applications handle paper sizes
would actually be addressed and this wouldn't be an issue.

PS. This is related to a conversation with my father (a newish linux
used) about how nice printer was in Linux (and particularly Fedora) to
find that it is (from a user perspective) horribly broken (expect a
flurry of bug reports). - R.
 It's much better on my side"