How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 06:35:17 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 9:20 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 9:05 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
> > for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?
>
> Fedora's default papersize setting... where?

Take a close look at the file cupshelpers.py

in system-config-printer

Letter is selected by default only for a small number of specific
locales.  What more do you want? Blood?

If you are going to argue that we should make A4 the default, even for
en_US and en_CA... locations where printers can be assumed that Letter
sized paper is what is in the trays... you and I are going to have a
serious discussion about balancing usability against idealism.

-jef"You want A4 to be the default for en_US, meet me on the steps of
the capital building in DC and spend a week championing the cause of
metric system adoption.  You'll know who I am. I'll be the one holding
the medications with your name on the bottle"spaleta