How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:42:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 1:05 AM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:30 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:59 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > > How important are ISO standards to Fedora.  Does Fedora aim to adhere to
> > > ISO standards where they exist.  For example, while a lot of people were
> > > thrilled that the open office file format was made an ISO standard, what
> > > bearing would this have had on Fedora.
> >
> > Open and unencumbered standards are important to Fedora. Whether or not
> > the ISO ratifies them is of little consequence.
>
> Right, so where does paper sizing fit into this?
>
> Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
> for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?

Why?

Better yet, if I select the nl_NL.utf8 locale on system install,
what's the default paper size?  What if I'm testing the locale in an
American office hooked up to an American printer that only has letter
and legal sized paper?

What is most correct is to pick a set of standards based on the user's
location, and make it easy to override specific settings, in common
use cases, like paper size, and date formats.

Do you have a better solution here?

(On the contrary, if your regional locale defaults to letter size
paper, but you're the one in one million people in the US who owns an
A4 only printer, how can we accommodate you?)

-Yaakov