pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:17:35 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> It's a bit difficult to continue streaming audio based on the sound
>>> cards clock if you don't have access to the sound card anymore.
>> Does this mean you should always use Xnest, NX client, vnc, ssh, etc,
>> instead of VTs to get login sessions that don't accidentally grab
>> unrelated
>
> "accidentaly"? "unrelated"?  The whole point of CK is that we change
> ownership of *related* devices, i.e. those directly attached to the
> seat in some way.

OK, is the way to describe to CK what is really related instead of what
parts of my hardware someone else thought might be related documented
somewhere?

>> hardware ownership?  That seems backwards if what you really want is an
>> audio player as a server that isn't tied to a particular login session.
>
> Hmm, I think we had this discussion multiple times already on this
> ML...

Well, we've typed the same points of view before.  I'm not sure I'd call
that a discussion.  I'm used to the X concept of hardware independence
and the same things working the same way whether you run it on a VT,
through Xnest, vnc, or the NX client.  Having the ability to re-route
sound to a network session is a plus - if it is optional.  Having the
ability to specify that you want exclusive use of a device would be a
plus.  But having a device disabled in a still-running session because
someone logs in on a keyboard that happens to be nearby is just weird in
a system that is supposed to provide device independence.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com