How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 21:01:17 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 01:51 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> I suspect you might not have interpreted Jef's sarcasm quite right, because I
>> don't read him as +1 for changing anything there.  Any choice of 'default' in
>> paper sizes would simply be wrong somewhere... the only reasonable thing Fedora
>> 'should' do is choose the most likely default based on locale.  Maybe some more
>> work needs done on that (which is a configuration issue).
>
> As far as I'm aware, the installer asks where you live (with regard to
> time zones), but given you can select cities on a map, shouldn't this be
> enough?
>

> R.

Apparently not, as per the existence of this thread. ;)  But seriously, you
don't need to select a city to set the timezone, and a timezone can (and does)
overlap with countries that would have differing standards for paper size...
selecting a city should be enough, if thats required to set locale (timezone)
but it needs to also coordinate with the rest of the system rather than just
time.  I don't know if its being done right now, as what happens for US English
in PST timezone handles my needs.