pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 14 14:00:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14.02.08 07:54, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

>>> But why not just block any other access?  A tape drive wouldn't work
>> Because the device changes ownership
>
> Traditional unix behavior is that open file descriptors stay open and
> working even if access permissions change.

Yes, and you know what? Unix sucks.

Just because something is the way Unix is doing it it doesn't mean
it's right. Also, Solaris has had frevoke() for some time, and we'll
hopefully get it on Linux soon, too. And when we have that, we can
kick any process from any fd at any time. Awesome! A Unix lover's
nightmare... Muahahaha!

Lennart