pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 15:20:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:54:15AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >Because the device changes ownership
>
> Traditional unix behavior is that open file descriptors stay open and
> working even if access permissions change.

Actually no. The tty behaviour has been different since the earliest days
for precisely these reasons

> turn instead of rudely breaking a working process).  I can see where
> this might make sense on the VT keyboard since that device is
> necessarily shared during the procedure.  But it doesn't make any more
> sense to interrupt a running phone or music player session because
> someone else is temporarily using a certain keybord than it would to
> break a running tape backup for the same circumstance.  Or at least this
> should be left as an easily chosen local policy.

And local policy should defalt to security first.

> the first session being interrupted has root access anyway and could
> bypass the access restrictions the switch tries to impose.  Wouldn't it
> be better to kernel locking or some mechanism that can really ensure
> exclusive access for situations like a phone session?

VT switch locking policy is handled by X, and by X clients, the kernel just
implements the rules.

Your objections really make no rational sense anyway, you don't "accidentally"
switch sessions to another user.

Alan