Git has too many freaking dependencies

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Feb 15 18:23:06 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 11:13 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy a écrit :
>
>> Before I go and submit a bug, I would like to ask why git requires
>> that i install so many dependencies?
>
> Because git is not git, git is a metapackage.
> Welcome to metapackage hell.

+1, I believe this actally is a bug, almost no other package has this, most
other packages have:
foo (which contains the core_
foo-addon1
foo-addon2

etc. and then if you really want all you can just do:
yum install 'foo*'

Can we please stop this meta package bs, it hit me too with git, and I do not
consider myself a novice when I say:
"yum install git"
I mean:
"yum install git"
and not
"yum install git and anything vaguely git related including an fscking emacs
add-on which drags in a whopping XX MB of emacs"

Regards,

Hans (who is seriously annoyed by this)