pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:39:25 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:

>> I missed this part in my other response.  X has historically _not_ been
>> a layer that dictates any policy at all.  Is it really true now that a
>> policy decision in X forces the rest of the system to break access to
>> audio devices?  That's even more shocking than someone thinking this is
>> a good idea in the first place.
>
> Sorry I don't follow you at all at this point

It was specifically in response to your posting:
"VT switch locking policy is handled by X..."

> - The kernel implements VT switch locking so you can decide not to switch
>   desktop to another user
> - X uses this to implement its own VT locking policies for the X server and
>   clients. It's up to X to expose this to X clients.

X has just historically been "mechanism, not policy", so I thought it
was somewhat shocking to hear a claim that X policy dictates that you
break access to some audio device - under any circumstances.

> But its set by policy files so if you want other users to broadcast your
> webcam over the internet all day, listen to all your calls and send them to
> friends you can configure it that way, but that should not be the default.

If I did leave a webcam running all day, perhaps for security reasons, I
certainly wouldn't want to lose access to it just because someone else
checks their email from that machine.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com