pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:24:23 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:17 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>> But its set by policy files so if you want other users to broadcast your
>> webcam over the internet all day, listen to all your calls and send them to
>> friends you can configure it that way, but that should not be the default.
>
> Lets not throw around straw men. Some of us just don't want to stop the
> rock.
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXKkNo7YZ8
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTwOiDrysI
>
> Proposal: Two checkboxes in the Sound control panel:
>
> [ ] Mute my audio when switching to another session
> [ ] Mute other sessions audio when switching to my session
>
> First option allows your music to keep playing when switched to another
> session. Second option provides a defense if the first option is abused.

That sounds simple and neat enough, but the reality is there still must be
policy behind it to 1) prevent these settings from being effective in a
multiuser environment where a security policy is needed, and 2) to make these
work without conflicting (obviously your suggested two options must have a
hierarchy, the second overriding the first in other's accounts).  The question
remains who is most 'entitled' to have their settings respected?

I actually like to work in virtual terminals while playing music in my X session
which is clearly problematic with default settings, but I understand the
arguments being made for better control and securing device access in other
situations.