ISO 216 vs U.S. paper

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Feb 19 16:44:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:26:58PM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-02-18, 00:43 GMT, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > In Debian, there's even more users, for example they patch
> > poppler to use libpaper. So it might be worth looking at their
> > patches if we want to make libpaper more widely used.
>
> That’s exactly my question -- do we? Is there something wrong
> with just following LC_PAPER? Why do I have to have
> /etc/paper.conf?
Note that LC_PAPER isn't a standard (except glibc >= 2.2 or so, not
POSIX or anything like that. libpaper even less so, sure.

Still, it's definately the way to go, why have an extra library when
glibc has everything that needed. Patching libpaper to use LC_PAPER
if /etc/paper.conf doesn't exist (and even trying to get that upstream
to do that with their libpaper) might be useful too, not that anything
in Fedora seems to even use it currently.

--
Pekka Pietikainen