default mail client

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Feb 21 07:51:43 UTC 2008

Jens Petersen wrote:
> So what are the arguments for keeping Evolution as the default Mail
> application in Fedora?  This question seems particularly relevant now
> with things like the Lightning calendar extension and the launch of
> Mozilla Messaging.  Evolution is different enough from regular GNOME
> applications to be basically a different platform, and from the
> development point of view it is expensive to have another platform to
> maintain.

Have a look at the Mugshot applications usage report -
http://mugshot.org/applications
Thunderbird is incredibly high for a non-default application (and not
even present on the DVD install media). I think it is a strong argument
about users making an informed choice *for* Thunderbird. I can only
imagine how the stats would look if it would be the other way, with
Thunderbird set as a default.

I am a longtime Thunderbird user myself, but before seriously  rooting
for it as *the* default mail client there is one thing I would like to
see: better GNOME integration, at the same level of integration brought
by Firefox 3 (stock icons, gtk widgets and such).