default mail client

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Fri Feb 22 05:40:15 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> KMail will have virtual folders in KDE 4.1 or 4.2 (this is being implemented in
> Akonadi, and what parts of Akonadi will be in 4.1 is not decided yet), so
> chances are that feature will come in Fedora 10 or 11. :-) It will also be very
> powerful, integrating with Nepomuk tagging, so you can tag your mails and
> filter by tags.
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3264

Opinion alert:

    I have used kmail for a long time - its an almost wonderful tool.
Sadly until it can actually speak html like the rest of the world it is
my opinion that noone shud use it for anything save text email - if you
find that useful like on here. Unless the developers get away from their
personal anti-html crusade this what-cud-be-great client will fall by
the wayside. I got very tired of having structured emails destroyed by
kmail at work - never mind the complaints - or the inability to respond
and put an 'approved' in a small  html table. This is convenient and the
reality we live in - the kmail developers said save the mail - copy it
to a word processor file -  attach it and send it. Yep - that makes
sense.  Now if the latest version - indeed has full support for
structured html mail it wud definitely be worth a second look.

    I have also used evo and thunderbird .. the only mailer which I have
found comes close to being functional in the modern (business and
personal) world is thunderbird.

    As of now - I use thunderbird  with enigmail and lightning. I use it
for work and personal email use.

   As an aside - if - you want the ability to trivially switch to/try
different clients without dealing with the variety of local storage
issues - do what I do - never use the local storage. I run a local imap
server (even on my laptop) and use that. I can now easily switch email
clients with almost zero cost.