someone interested in packaging VirtualBox?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Feb 24 16:52:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 09:48:42AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > It should use the KVM module driver, and if the current functionality in
> >>KVM is not sufficient then VirtualBox should work with upstream to address
> >>the limitations. Having multiple kernel modules for virtualization does
> >>not help anyone.
> >>

> >Well, that would be quite a challenge.
>
> Especially on x86 32-bit processors that KVM doesn't support... Or for
> people who want the option of moving their virtual machines to a windows
> host.  The functionality doesn't seem the same at all.

I didn't say it was easy - just that if you ever want VirtualBox to be a
part of the mainstream Fedora kernels it is going to have to stop duplicating
functionality already present & work with Linux kernel developers. What
VirtualBox does for kernel drivers on Windows is utterly irrelevant & need
not share any code with the Linux support, nor mandate what the Linux
support looks like.

Dan.