Proposal: stop configuring soundcards through /etc/modprobe.conf

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 27 06:35:40 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede <at> hhs.nl> writes:
> It does, my concern is that "joe the average user" when looking for someway
> to control the volume, will expect something name just "Volume Control", and
> may not try to start "PulseAudio Volume Control", or atleast not after trying
> many other options, because he has no idea what PulseAudio is, and unfamiliar
> makes unloved / he might find it "scary".

But users who disabled PA will be mightily confused if they try running
something advertising itself as "Volume Control" and not working at all due to
PA not running.

This is just one more instance of the same problem: please don't use generic
names only! The current "PulseAudio Volume Control" entry is correct.

        Kevin Kofler