Proposal: stop configuring soundcards through /etc/modprobe.conf

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Feb 27 07:57:54 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede <at> hhs.nl> writes:
>
>> It does, my concern is that "joe the average user" when looking for someway
>> to control the volume, will expect something name just "Volume Control", and
>> may not try to start "PulseAudio Volume Control", or atleast not after trying
>> many other options, because he has no idea what PulseAudio is, and unfamiliar
>> makes unloved / he might find it "scary".
>>

> But users who disabled PA will be mightily confused if they try running
> something advertising itself as "Volume Control" and not working at all due to
> PA not running.
>
> This is just one more instance of the same problem: please don't use generic
> names only! The current "PulseAudio Volume Control" entry is correct.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Hum..

Should system-config-printer than be renamed to cups-config-printer and
printing to cups printing ( Only configures cups )..
and system-config-firewall to netfilter-config-firewall and firewall to
netfilter-firewall ( Only configures netfilter/iptables )
etc...

Either go with generic or not.

Regarding the Volume Control

There can be only one volume control!!!!

Let's not have 3 4 or 5 volume controls because that will only lead to
disaster..
Not only will the users be confused seeing  3 volume controls guessing
which one to pick
or better yet decide  to mess with them all and ends up with a messed up
audio system
( Things enabled in VC1 disabled in VC2,  programs take their settings
from VC3 hence don't work  etc.. ).

For the user call it Volume Control and  when the mouse is over it in
the little msg box PulseAudio Volume Control or Gnome Volume Control
etc.
But there should be only one...

Rest should be called app-sound-settings to not confuse user....

Best regards
                   Johann B.