Fedora bug workflow - process change

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Feb 27 18:20:04 UTC 2008

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:05 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
>
>>  When a reporter enters a bug, the report automatically starts out in a
>>  NEW state. The triage team will be primarily looking at bugs in this
>>  state. From this state, the triage team can either change the status
>>  to ASSIGNED (which indicates that the bug is well defined and
>>  triaged), or use the NEEDINFO state to request additional information
>>  from the reporter, or close the bug (either as a duplicate of an
>>  existing one, or using other closure reasons - CANTFIX for problems
>>  with proprietary drivers or kernels that have such drivers loaded, for
>>  example).
>>
>>  The ASSIGNED state is a state that has a new meaning - it used to mean
>>  that the bug was actually assigned to a person. Instead, it now means
>>  that the bug is capable of being worked on by a maintainer - i.e. the
>>  triage team believes that this is a complete, actionable bug - i.e.
>>  with a stack trace for a crasher, various log files for other
>>  components, complete AVC message for SELinux stuff, etc.
>>

> IMO this is bad, as we don't differentiate between "this is a bug" and
> "someone is actually working on it" then; ASSIGNED should mean what it
> says, that a bug is assigned to a person or group of persons to work on
> it.
+1 Aggreed..
> Perhaps another state (TRIAGED, VERIFIED?) should be
> introduced/re-used for that.

I suggest Confirmed ( as in confirmed as a bug ) then moved to Assign.

If there is no response from upstream in ( let's say week/2 weeks/ a
month ) given time.
( Some thing that gives something back to the bug reporter on the status
of the bug
EVEN if it is just working on or still working on it ) .

That component will be marked "upstream dead" and removed from bz due to
no responce
and removed from next release of Fedora..

Best regards.
              Johann B.