system-* tools' ui independence

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Feb 28 21:39:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 11:08 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> Not so; I know for a fact that a Synaptics Touchpad will not work
> unless there's an entry in xorg.conf for it.  There are probably
> others as well.

Don't forget ALPS. Which is handled by the synaptics driver but does NOT
work out of the box, as synaptics pads have an order of magnitude or two
better precision than ALPS pads, and it completely throws everything out
of whack. It doesn't just scale up the ALPS values to match synaptics so
that things Just Work. Nope. At least this was true last I looked at
it...

They're crap but they're common on lower end laptops.