f8 gripe#2: why did f8's pm-hibernate regress?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jan 2 05:53:09 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:
> On Mi Januar 2 2008, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Can someone tell me if there is anything I can do to de-regress f8's
>> pm-hibernate?
>
> pm-utils hibernation code does not differ much between f7 and f8.
>
>> My analysis is pure speculation based on my understanding of how you can
>> tune that behaviour with suspend2(tux-on-ice).  But it is very noticable
>> and very annoying and very clearly a f7->f8 change.
>
> I guess it is then a change in the kernel, but afaik the f7 and f8 kernel are
> very similiar, too.

Again, mainly I posted this to see if anyone else is noticing the same
thing.

Basic behavior: I keep several main apps open in multiple desktops,
often hotkey switching between desktops.  First thing I do on resume is
often cycle through my desktops (thunderbird, firefox, gnome-terminal,
rhythmbox....).

In F7, cycling would be as responsive after resume as immediately prior.
  Now with F8, it thrashes reading from disk for a couple seconds
between each desktop/application switch.  Very gross.

And suspend2(tux-on-ice) does have an explicit config variable you can
tune, if you actually want to optimize for hibernation speed rather than
post-resume performance.  So my reaction was that the non-user-tweakable
version in fedora's suspend1 must have changed from f7-f8.  Yes, kernel.
  But I figure I'd gripe here since I was in the mood to gripe.  I'm
still hoping I can get someone else here to confirm/deny the significant
change in behavior, and better yet explain, and better yet, explain how
to revert.

-dmc