Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 14:47:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:42:35 +0100
Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:

> Why not let the packagers decide for themselves? Packagers should
> decide on their own how the spend their time best. This should not be
> in the scope of FESCO.
>
> I can't really see how compat-packages could be a threat to Fedoras
> release cycles.
>
> Not trusting packagers is a threat for fedora.

When those compat packages start failing to rebuild, that slows us
down.  When too many of our packages rely on those compat packages,
that slows us down.  When the package maintainer for the non-compat
package gets bogged down with bug reports and requests for assistance
with the -compat package problems that slows us down.

--
Jesse Keating