Control center idea

Laith Juwaidah ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 4 18:54:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 21:59:44 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Laith Juwaidah wrote:
> > I knew it! Problem solved then, we can make a program that doesn't go
> > through the applications as steps (like anaconda does), instead it allows
> > the user to choose from, say, a narrow menu on the left and shows the
> > apps in the remaining area of the window...
> >
> > What do you think of that?
>
> I have already pointed out this to you and earlier in this thread that
> system-config-control does something like this. So if you want this, I
> would suggest you take over maintenance of that and update it. In case
> you missed it, it is available for download at
>
> http://www.indianoss.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=10
>
> Rahul

I did check that, it don't work like that, it has a small window with tabs on
top with button arranged in the window, and when you click on the button it
just "executes" the programs, they'll prbably run in another window because
it's just excuting, I can't say that for sure, because when I click on a
button, I either get a dialog box saying that the tool isn't installed or
nothing happens...

> When I think of 'control center', I think of something that can be run
> over a network to control many machine remotely.  Assuming the network
> is up, would this work reasonably well over ssh from a central machine?
>   Would it identify itself in the window if you open many of them at once?

Maybe later we can improve it so that it has an option to make it run in text
only mode, probably using curses :)

Cheers!
--
Laith Juwaidah