Another selinux rant

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:03:10 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 4:57 PM, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because most of the time it's an selinux policy bug. Granted, not
> always, but often enough to make ones first thought be "oh, must be an
> selinux problem, Ill turn it off" or "must be an selinux polciy
> problem I'll run audit2allow and report a bug" - both of which are
> suggested EVERY TIME by setroubleshoot. A naive user is then led to
> think that this is the right thing to do in all instances.

I have to say, it appears that my experiences with SELinux have been
much different from yours. I must admit however, that I do not run
SELinux on my desktops, maybe that's the issue -- I don't connect my
desktop directly to the internet either however, nor do I store that
much data on them.

<snip>

> I fear you're in the minority of users. Look over at the users
> forum/lists and see how many times you see people turning off
> selinux...

Have you considered the possibility of a large silent majority for
whom it works most of the time and so need not complain? Not that
valid complaints are a bad thing.

( www.pembo13.com )