I'm mellllttttttinggg!!! (kernel 2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9)

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Jan 5 15:13:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 13:50 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> This is a hardware problem!  Even running all cores 100%, you should
> have sufficient cooling to prevent this from happening.  Don't blame
> the software.

I wouldn't always assume that hardware is always protected from damage
due to faulty software. There have been a lot of cases in the past where
programming inadvertently damaged hardware: the recent Load_Cycle_Count
kerfuffle with harddisk drives, burning-out CRT monitors with faulty
Modelines, overheating laptops with covers closed and monitor and CPU
not going low, etc. The fact that there was a difference indicates, at
the least, seemingly more power-consumption for the same amount of work
with just a different kernel. Certainly worth investigating.
--

Richi Plana