I'm mellllttttttinggg!!! (kernel 2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Jan 5 16:04:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:13:12AM -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> Modelines, overheating laptops with covers closed and monitor and CPU
> not going low, etc. The fact that there was a difference indicates, at
> the least, seemingly more power-consumption for the same amount of work
> with just a different kernel. Certainly worth investigating.

PC systems today are usually designed with system managed fans and a hardware
cut out at the point things go 'critical'. So it is in fact possible that
a kernel change caused a problem which then shut the machine down as it hit
the hardware thermal limit. Unlikely but possible.

Running old and new kernels will verify that after checking the fans etc
are in fact working properly. If this is the case it would be very nice to
know ASAP and also to let Len Brown <lenb at kernel.org> know that you have a
case where a box overheats with one kernel and not another