Is anyone packaging sage?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Jan 5 20:52:27 UTC 2008

On 01/05/2008 10:38 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy <at> nobugconsulting.ro> writes:
>
>>     I have also included a patch which removes from the sage install
>> script the parts which I think that are already available in rawhide.
>>

> Still, a monolithic solution like this is not going to fly, every single of
> these separate projects needs to be packaged separately,
    I absolutely agree with you. I have mentioned that I agree with
having all prereqs as separate packages. But I wanted to see things
started and to isolate the BRs

>  usually directly from
> upstream, not from the bundled often outdated version in SAGE.
agree again

>  Unfortunately,
> SAGE tries to be yet another program which tries to be a distro, this sucks.

they just want top be sure that what they ship, works. I can understand
that. That does not mean that I agree.

> Out of spkg/standard/*.spkg, as a first guess, only
> spkg/standard/*-2.9.1.1.spkg makes sense to package as part of SAGE, that would
> be doc, examples, extcode, sage and sage_scripts. And these should be 5
> separate packages or subpackages (e.g. sagemath, sagemath-doc,
> sagemath-examples, sagemath-extcode, sagemath-scripts).
>
> Moreover, at least in your build.log, it appears also to still build stuff like
> ATLAS
I have not noticed it in the repo...
> and gnutls which are already in Fedora (and the gnutls build failed).

no, it's python-gnutls that failed