Init : someone could comment this ?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:48:37 UTC 2008

Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 3:19 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>> If you think of a traditional OS install then yum will be common. If you
>> think of Fedora as a base for creating black box appliances, then yum may
>> well not be installed at all - whole appliance upgrades are done rather
>> than individual packages. Likewise if you deploy Fedora in 'stateless'
>> mode, you're not upgrading packages on individual machines you are instead
>> generating a new master image. So again yum will not be there.
>
> Neither will Haskell, but in building one of these appliance images,
> you could require Haskell as a build time requirement.  Theoretically,
> you could require a python compiler as well, but I don't know how far
> those have come along.

pypy is doing pretty well but we're actually wandering a bit off the
point.  An appliance may well want to modify the initscripts of the
services it starts.  If you have to compile those with Haskell or gcc or
python then they need to be on the appliance.

A stateless box could potentially suffer from the same issue if
modifying the initscripts (temporarily) is a desired ability.

-Toshio