Init : someone could comment this ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:49:56 UTC 2008

Nils Philippsen wrote:

>> I think, when somebody wants to run a server, he has to understand how
>> it works and how to configure it.  When admin can not figure out correct
>> cmdline options, how can he configure the server in a secure manner?
>
> Along that line, everybody should be able to run configure && make &&
> make install and wrap their own packages, so why should we bother ;-)?
> Seriously, I can cope with command line arguments and still like
> sysconfig files that are more understandable than just plain
> "OPTS='--foo -x=y -a'". I'm happy if I get things done without having to
> read the documentation for the common case. I'm not saying admins
> shouldn't be able to influence the cmd line options directly if they
> wish.

If you change that to some abstraction that you think is easier to
understand, how do you propose (a) that sysadmins that already knew the
real options should deal with the now confusing abstraction and (b) that
the abstraction (and its documentation) always stays in sync with
upstream changes/additions to the underlying program's options?  It is
already fairly messy trying to track what options have been moved to new
locations under /etc/sysconfig in fedora/RH boxes and which are still in
their normal locations.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com