Init : someone could comment this ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:59:52 UTC 2008

Nils Philippsen wrote:

>>> Along that line, everybody should be able to run configure && make &&
>>> make install and wrap their own packages, so why should we bother ;-)?
>>> Seriously, I can cope with command line arguments and still like
>>> sysconfig files that are more understandable than just plain
>>> "OPTS='--foo -x=y -a'". I'm happy if I get things done without having to
>>> read the documentation for the common case. I'm not saying admins
>>> shouldn't be able to influence the cmd line options directly if they
>>> wish.
>> If you change that to some abstraction that you think is easier to
>> understand, how do you propose (a) that sysadmins that already knew the
>> real options should deal with the now confusing abstraction
>
> E.g. like with the old /etc/sysconfig/hdparm, you could use "speaking
> options" but have an "HDPARM_OPTS" variable (or some name like that)
> which would just passed on the command line.

And how is someone supposed to know that?

>>  and (b) that
>> the abstraction (and its documentation) always stays in sync with
>> upstream changes/additions to the underlying program's options?  It is
>> already fairly messy trying to track what options have been moved to new
>> locations under /etc/sysconfig in fedora/RH boxes and which are still in
>> their normal locations.
>
> That's the job of the maintainer of the concerned package: to ensure
> that sysconfig options he introduced get mapped to the correct set of
> command line arguments. If those change, the mapping has to change.

I think you are missing my point. I run an operating system in order to
run programs I add myself, some of which supply init scripts which I
expect to continue to run from one version to the next with no or minor
changes.  Changing the way a sysv-like init service runs would be sort
of like the C language changing its keywords.  Changing the
system-supplied scripts to do things more efficiently is one thing;
breaking expected system behavior is something else.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com