Init : someone could comment this ?

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 8 20:38:38 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> OK, that's a good reason not to use it, then.
>>
>> i dont get your logic...
>
> People running fedora will expect to use sysV style init configuration
> to control it.

great. Maybe we should move back to KDE 1, since a lot of people got
used to that at the beginning. :( In fact we don't offer compatibility
with the abacus. I'm sure computers alienated a lot of abacus users way
back when, maybe we could do something about that.

Interfaces change. We like to keep them the same but snapping the reigns
and yelling "giddyup" just isn't a suitable control mechanism for a car.
A new init system is likely going to have properties that inittab isn't
capable of expressing. Users will have to learn. Anyone manually editing
text config files is comfortable enough to handle the changes.

--CJD