Init : someone could comment this ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:10:45 UTC 2008

Yaakov Nemoy wrote:

> I think it's quite possible to pick a balance between what we need and
> don't need, and the fun part is going to be making up those
> requirements, trimming a system down to meet those requirements, and
> then coding in the startup routines.

Has anyone actually measured the system calls made by init itself and
the shells parsing the scripts vs. the things the code it starts does? I
wouldn't expect a real-time difference from any change to init other
than figuring out what you can run in parallel so delays in (say)
sendmail or samba's DNS lookups don't slow down the first login screen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com