Fedora too cutting edge?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:31:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 1:45 PM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Does this mean that Fedora should not have shipped the new stack? No it
> doesn't! Getting code out there early into many hands for testing is a good thing.
>
> What IMHO we should have done is build both the new and the oldstack, which is
> possible on the kernel side, and modify our patches to userspace to support the
> juju stack, so that the userspace libs can work with either one. On top of this
> we should then have written a small gui utility for easy switching.

Supporting two versions of anything, especially on the same system is
much harder than it looks.  The people in charge have to make sure
that the old version still works, even if it's unmaintained upstream,
the new version works somewhat, so it doesn't completely suck, the
userspace stack surrounding kernel bits has to work equally as well,
so that the transition is smooth, the interoperability between the
new/old components and the rest of the system is equal, etc...

Then they have to worry about security advisories on both components,
managing two packages where there could be one, propagating static
materials twice, like documentation and configuration details, writing
documentation on how to switch back and forth for those butterflies
that are interested in making things work well, etc...

All in all, it takes alot more manpower than what's available right now.

-Yaakov