Fedora too cutting edge?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:34:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 1:20 PM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Another example: hplip is still on 2.7.7 for F8 right now while upstream
> > is at 2.7.12 in between and supports 22 new printers (
> > http://hplip.sourceforge.net/release_notes.html ). We don't provide any
> > solutions for users that buy those printers right now besides using
> > rawhide. Thus they have to wait/ask for a proper update or wait until F9
> > or -- the latter means waiting about 6 months for driver. That's IMHO
> > unacceptable -- especially as printer manufacturers release successor
> > models quite often (it feels to me like a new successor model get
> > released in each printer class about once a year, but I didn't check).
> >

> What about NetworkManger? While our release engineers were screaming
> "It's not ready!" and refusing to enable it by default, Ubuntu was being
> credited for saving linux with it.

There are always going to be examples of something that is chosen or
not chosen to work with a release.. and some other distro is going to
do it and get the credit. Fedora has probably gotten credit for things
that Ubuntu was too extreme.. Choices have to be made of how many
engineers are going to focus on some problem and what problems will
have to wait.