Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Jan 9 23:06:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 05:54:51PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 23:47 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Who 'essentially already posited that we have insufficient developer
> > effort'? Who decided that, and for what task? Isn't the fedora
> > contributors time used like they want to? If there are three parts,
> > and three interactions but dozens of contributors willing to fix
> > them where is the issue?
>
> One issue is that most packagers maintainers in the Fedora Project are
> not code monkeys.

Do you have other words that would say the same, but understandable by a
non native speaker...

> Another issue is that complexity has this funny habit
> of growing exponentially with the number of moving parts...

That's possible, and I am not advocating to let everything go in any
direction, be it only because some of the burden fails on other
packagers (misfiled bugs, complex issues that seems to arise from a
package but in fact comes from another temporarily broken) but a middle
ground is needed in which developpers, especially from the community can
also do what they want in fedora to pursue their own (innovative or
simply usefull).

--
Pat