Fedora too cutting edge?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 10 00:49:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 09.01.08 19:45, Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) wrote:

> Another example of Fedora being to cutting edge is pulseaudio, for prove
> click this URL:

> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora&version=&component=pulseaudio&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=FAILS_QA&bug_status=POST&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=

I don't think this BZ excerpt is any good as argument for your
point. A big share of the bugs listed for PA are duplicates. BZ is
very good for burying people in vast amount of emails due to new or
updated bug reports. My main job is hacking on PA, not wading through
BZ. Which is why I tend to ignore bugzilla as good as I can and clean
it up only just before every release.

Also, even if there were no duplicates and bogus bug reports in this
list: I still find 47 bugs quite a low number, given that sound is
something everyone uses all the time on the desktop these days.

Huge numbers of bugs is more a sign that people are using your
software, not necessarily so much that your software is buggy.

> Considering the current state of affairs with regards to both features, I
> would even like to advocate to make them both optional for Fedora 9.

Maybe we should remove the Linux kernel from F9, too. According to
your BZ metric it is beyond evil by far. (1611)

Lennart