Fedora too cutting edge?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 10 23:15:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10.01.08 10:40, Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) wrote:

>> A big share of the bugs listed for PA are duplicates. BZ is
>> very good for burying people in vast amount of emails due to new or
>> updated bug reports. My main job is hacking on PA, not wading through
>> BZ. Which is why I tend to ignore bugzilla as good as I can and clean
>> it up only just before every release.
>
> And I think this is bad, we need to nourish people who provide valuable
> feedback, not ignore them and let BZ tickets rot. Also see Jonathan Dieter
> reply for an example of why this is bad.
>
> Why not reserve 30 minutes a day to respond to bug tickets, if you do this
> every day, keeping on top of things, then keeping BZ spam in track should
> be manageable.

I did that initially, and then I stopped to do it that way. It just
didn't work for me. I spent way too much time on BZ that way, And
spending time on BZ is not what I am being primarily payed for. (And
it's also not where the fun is in my eyes...)

<offtopic>Also, since our BZ is so embarassingly slow the time spent on BZ
is twenty times what it could be. Why, oh, why is our BZ just so f**g
slow compared to all other BZs? Even SUSE's BZ is a million times
faster than ours.</offtopic>

> Anyways after my recent bugfixing surrounding pulseaudio, I've already been
> thinking about trying to help out with pulseaudio, so as usual I'm willing
> to put my code where my mouth is and I'm hereby offering to do pulseaudio
> bug triaging for you. But pulseaudio is a complex beast, so I will be
> needing help from you. I can do the initial grunt work of filtering
> duplicates, filtering configuration errors and trying to make problems
> reproducable, but after that I will need help from you. Does this sound
> like a deal? And once I'm in a stadium where I need help, how do I reach
> you in such a way that you do respond in a reasonable time?

I am happy for every help! Feel free to merge, close or comment on all
BZ bug reports if it seems sensible to you. It would certainly help me
to release new PA versions more quickly!

You can always, ping me on #pulseaudio on freenode. Ping me multiple
times if I don't react.

Thanks,

Lennart