Pulse Audio 0.9.8 - upgrade?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Jan 11 00:06:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10.01.08 08:43, Warren Togami (wtogami at redhat.com) wrote:

> Christopher Brown wrote:
>> http://pulseaudio.org/milestone/0.9.8
>> gives some good reasons to upgrade. This is more than just "a change
>> of one digit in a version number". In any event my comment related not
>> just to pulseaudio but to Fedora as a whole. Point releases reflect
>> bug fixes - usually - and so upgrading to resolve outstanding bugs is
>> something that I and many users no doubt will applaud. You are not
>> forced to accept these upgrades.
>> Cheers
>
> We are yet to hear from Lennart about this, but I was under the impression
> that the pulseaudio shipped in F8 was a svn snapshot *very* close to 0.9.8.
>
> pulseaudio-0.9.7-0.17.svn20071017.fc8 was built October 30th
> 0.9.8 was released November 20th
>
> It might be the case that we might not gain much (or anything?) by
> upgrading only to 0.9.8.  Lennart?

Sorry for not responding earlier.

The Snapshot in F8 is a prerelease of 0.9.7. It basically is the same
codebase as the final 0.9.7, but some modules that are available in
0.9.6 and the final 0.9.7 are not included in this preview since I
didn't have the time back then to port them fully over to the new core.

0.9.8 is an even newer release, with major changes.

I discussed the whole situation with Lubomir a while back, when I last
updated the packages for Rawhide. Thing is: right now we don't have a
real policy on what kind of updates should be pushed into already
released releases and what updates shouldn't (but there's a draft, or
something? don't really remember, didn't really follow this). My
understanding is that no big updates should be pushed to released
versions, but bugfixes should. (I used to follow Debian
before I joined RH, and their policy is very strict on this stuff, and
I believe that makes sense).

So, looking on 0.9.7-pre, on 0.9.7-final and 0.9.8, I decided that the
changes are not really suited for an updated package for an already
released distribution, since they are almost exclusively new features,
and only very few relevant bugfixes.

I guess this is the classical distribution dilemma: are the new
features or the stability more important? Whatever way I decide, I'll
make some people unhappy.

Long story short: The changes to 0.9.7 are no bugfixes, those to 0.9.8
are invasive. So I believe this better stays out of an already
released distribution.

And then, you can always run Rawhide. It has 0.9.8. And has had it for
quite a while.

Lennart