compilation architecture

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:06:50 UTC 2008

I've used openSUSE (i586) with the same configuration and packages installed
and eg. Firefox 3 was started in < 1 sec. I have no benchmarks but
everything runs faster and is more responsible.

Our optimalization does nothing compared to > i386 compilation.

2008/1/12, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com>:

> 2008/1/12 Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com>:
> > do we need to support legacy cpu's by i386 compilation?
> > i586 would make fedora faster even 3 times.
> > difference is noticeable.

> where are your benchmarks for the "3 times faster" claim?
> the i386 packages are already optimized for newer cpus (mtune vs. march)
> where it makes sense to have i686 versions there are some (kernel, glibc)
>
> --

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/