Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 07:05:32 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2008 5:47 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Well, I looked into the readahead util for boot time, and it seemed to
>> hurt more than help.  But ongoing preload that learns & adjusts to usage
>> patterns could help I'm sure, if done right
>
> That wont help the critical first impression phase.. before
> application usage patterns are established and people are feeling out
> the release.  And to be more blunt about it.. it won't help first
> impression from the reviewers who run a distro just long enough to
> figure what they like and don't like about it and want to get their
> review in within the first week of a release.
> How many people end up relying on the first impression of others to
> form their own impressions?  Adaptive methods that only help boot
> speeds after multiple reboots with extended usage pattern trending
> isn't really going to impact the impression people have one damn bit.

Uhm, yeah you're right.  But it will help those who actually use the
distribution rather than toss it aside based off bad information they got from
someone else.  There is certainly time and place to consider user first
impressions, but I hardly think its a good idea to filter an idea like the above
by ONLY that consideration.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>