X broken in rawhide?

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 14:58:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 02:39 +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, darrell pfeifer wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen anyone else reporting X problems. Is there something I've
> > missed?
>
> I've seen X upgrades wiping out the ModulePath sections in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf for me.

This is intentional, yes.  It's even in %post:

    # lame, the nvidia driver needs to override this
    if ! grep -q 'ModulePath.*nvidia' xorg.conf ; then
      perl -p -i -e 's#^\s*ModulePath.*$##gi' xorg.conf
    fi

We do this because many people used to have a ModulePath section in
their config file, and it changed when we moved to modular X because
drivers were no longer installed in the same place, but if you
explicitly specified a ModulePath you'd continue looking in the old
place.  And then X wouldn't start.

If you want to build custom modules by hand, put them in the normal
search path.  The only reason the nvidia driver gets a workaround is
because it replaces a library that the X server normally provides and
rpm doesn't have file redirects.

- ajax