intel driver and dual screen

Alberto Milone albertomilone at alice.it
Wed Jan 16 17:47:01 UTC 2008

On 1/16/08, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff ocjtech us> wrote:
> Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
> example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get.  Plus I
> see some rather dubious code...  First of all, it seems to want to run
> as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR.  Second, code
> like this:
>
>         self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
>         self.remove(files, verb)
>
> seems to be begging to be exploited.  I think that I'm staying far
> away from this code...
>
> Jeff

Jeff, that code is useless and I will remove it from my application.
Good point.

The only reason why I would like to make my application run as root is
that, as you might already know, sometimes a line such as the following
has to be appended to the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf:

Virtual 2880 1600

It depends on the graphic card but for example if I wanted to set up
multiple screens (like xinerama used to do) so as to have my 1600x1200
screen to the left of my laptop's monitor (1280x800) I couldn't do it
without setting the virtual resolution in my xorg.conf and restarting
the Xserver, otherwise xrandr would say that the screen cannot be larger
than 1600x1600. URandR should add that line automatically.

Of course if you have a better idea I would be glad if you could let me
know.

P.S. I have an Intel card and, as far as I know, the Intel driver cannot
reallocate the frame buffer, therefore whatever size you start with is
the maximum the screen can ever become.

Alberto