SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:13:46 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> Those are just a nonsense quotes as yours. I understand security. I
>> also understand desktop usability.  I believe that SELinux it too raw
>> for general purpose desktop. Give it a year or two to mature and maybe
>> then.
>
> How is this 'maturing' process supposed to occur when the vast majority
> of general purpose users are not even trying it?  The rawhide testers
> using it on a daily basis cannot possibly invoke all the possible
> combinations of operations that lead to selinux issues, and they don't
> have all the proprietary software to install and find out what happens.
> When a user tries it and runs into problems, they can turn it off.  When
> a user never tries it, the problems stay hidden (and no thats not a
> better result).

I believe that Fedora has some guidelines how some technology gets
tested? Surely not by showing it to peoples faces and making them deal
with it. I saw lost of examples where fedora devels have pulled out some
feature because it wasn't mature and was getting in way of usability. I
don't get why is this case any different.

Again I'm not talking about general fedora distro, only Desktop spin.

Valent.