Smolt and Kickstart (Was:SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?)

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:34:19 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 12:57 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> > On Jan 16, 2008 10:15 PM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >> You can opt in by running smoltSendProfile in your post-install script.
> >> We just need to advertise this.
> >
> > That doesn't actually set up the monthly submissions.  Furthermore,
> > we're going to start filtering by submission date.  Anything older
> > than 35 days is going to be considered 'not running'.
>
> Hopefully 'not running' is nothing more than another flag here... not to be
> confused with 'removed from the database'?  If that is going to be more than a
> filter, something longer than 35 days would probably be better.

By not running, it means the unique System + OS Install are no longer
running.  Maybe the user installed a new OS, or doesn't use that
machine.

A running machine updates its profile with smolts.org every 30 days by
default. 35 days is a metric that means the computer has not been
updated because a) smolt is disabled or b) the computer is not
running.

We haven't decided if we want to purge old data yet, but we're going
to rewrite our queries to give more up to date information.

The only edge case is a computer that is operational less than once a
month.  I'm not going to consider working around this.

-Yaakov