rawhide report: 20080116 changes

pingou pingoufc4 at yahoo.fr
Thu Jan 17 15:40:00 UTC 2008

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> KK> Huh? What's that doing in a Fedora package?
>>
>> What do you mean?  Do you feel this is somehow unacceptable?
>>
>> KK> It's plain data, isn't it?
>>
>> It's data for use with other packages in the distribution.
>>
>> KK> Are we going to get a R-BSgenome.*.UCSC.ce* package for every
>> KK> species in existence? ;-)
>>
>> Only the ones which have been sequenced.  I think there are three or
>> four of them available.
>
> While I'm not against including genome data, this is a very specialized
> area... perhaps a separate YUM repo for such stuff? Copies of this will
> have to be carried by each and every mirror.
If we do so we end to the question
Should we make a specific repo for each specific field and let the user
pick the repo he is interested in.

There will be then a repo for EPEL, a repo for Bioinformatics... but
even, how would you distinguish the different repo ?
Is electronic part of the EPEL, but I guess there are some software
there that are used in others sciences...
R is used in bioinformatics but can be also used for statistics or for
data manipulation... Would you split the different libraries of R into
different repo ?

It is an idea but have to be investigated, and also the way for the user
to find where are the software he is interested in... I see a big work
there...

Regards,
Pierre