An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sat Jan 19 18:39:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:34:57PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> nodata wrote:

> >>Hmm, is that what the 'upstream' close reason is for? Normally, I close
> >>things 'upstream' when I have checked a fix into the upstream code base.
> >>Which seems pretty reasonable time to close it to me.
> >>
> >>-sv
> >>

> >I'm talking about closing the bug and telling the reporter to report
> >upstream, i.e. "go away".
> >

> I agree that the above is bad.
>
> Sometimes (rarely) I do forward a bugreport upstream (using upstream's
> preferred bug tracking mechanism) and then kindly explain that I'm not
> intimate enough with the code to fix the issue at hand with a reasonable
> effort, point them to the upstream bug and add them to the CC there if
> possible. And then close with a resolution of upstream. Not very pretty,
> but honest and way better then letting bugs linger for months.

It is possible to link tickets between the Red Hat bugzilla and other
BZ instances. At the bottom there is a 'External Bugzilla References'
form - simply add the number of the associated upstream BZ ticket.
Rather than entering upstream and then closing the RH BZ ticket, I'd
suggest using this linkage between BZ instances. Then when the upstream
maintainer finds a fix, you still have a record of the fact that it
needs to be pulled into Fedora. If you close the Fedora BZ, you'll
never remember to pull in the fix from upstream.

Dan.