long term support release

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Jan 23 04:21:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 22:16 -0500, David Mansfield wrote:
> Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> worry about at any given time.

I was about to say that that is exactly what RHEL-to-CentOS is for, but
thinking about it, I think I know what your problem is with CentOS.

One thing not factored with CentOS is how old it is compared to the
version of Fedora that it's supposed to be based upon. If I understand
you correctly, your concept of LTS is based on the Final stable release
of Fedora and will be supported for two years as opposed to some version
of CentOS which upon release is probably years behind the final release
of rawhide it was based on and therefore obsolete with hardware (which
also has a fast release cycle). (Could someone do the math?)

Did I understand your problem correctly?
--

Richi Plana