long term support release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:24:47 UTC 2008

David Mansfield wrote:
> I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> and actually become productive with it.
>
> Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> worry about at any given time.
>
> If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> understood.
>
> Thanks,
> David

That is essentially what was tried with the fedora legacy project (supporting
eol fedora releases for a longer term) but there was not enough interest and
support to keep it going.  It did support RH9 and FC releases up to FC5 I think?

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>