long term support release

David Mansfield fedora at dm.cobite.com
Wed Jan 23 15:13:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 20:24 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
> David Mansfield wrote:
> > I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> > I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> > occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> > two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> > and actually become productive with it.
> >
> > Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> > release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> > (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> > would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> > worry about at any given time.
> >
> > If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> > understood.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
>
> That is essentially what was tried with the fedora legacy project (supporting
> eol fedora releases for a longer term) but there was not enough interest and
> support to keep it going.  It did support RH9 and FC releases up to FC5 I think?

Almost the same.  A few differences:
- that project was 'glued on' to an existing process instead of a part
of it
- they came into the game with a number of releases to support already
- they wanted to support every release

I think Fedora LTS would be:
- planned and built into the Fedora cycle and finally implemented
- only releases planned in advance to be LTS releases would be LTS
- there would only be one (or two) outstanding LTS releases at a time

David