long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jan 24 04:56:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 20:24 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 23.01.2008 16:56, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Honestly, in my eyes, RHEL/CentOS + EPEL >= Ubuntu LTS, and a separate Fedora
> > LTS is completely unwarranted.
>
> Agreed. But the different names (Fedora != CentOS) make a very very big
> difference for a lot of people and the press. IOW: we
Wrong: You, in your position as proponent of EPEL want to make it look
as such.

> might see
> RHEL/CentOS + EPEL as Fedora LTS, but for the world CentOS and Fedora
> are totally different things.
Right. CentOS is a different distro. It is not RHEL nor Fedora.
It's the same difference as between Debian and its recompile called
Ubuntu.

RHEL and CentOS just happen to be largely compatible, because they are
derivatives from the same sources.

Ralf