Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 12:50:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 06:32 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:52:37AM -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> > It sounds like you are using a transparent proxy.  Just redirect
> > mirrors.fedoraproject.org to localhost at another port and serve files
> > so the mirrorlist URL's hand back a single mirror of your choosing.
>
> Actually thats another way to handle the caching problem with most proxies
> and static content servers. If you get
>
> 	http://....../....static.file?random-16-digits
>
> apache and most web servers will discard the query bits and the cache won't
> be able to decide if the content is the same ;)

 "most"? I'm guessing you don't mean that by number of web servers ...
maybe by "most commonly deployed". Others can/do 301 redirect you to the
actual URL, or 404, or...

 To mis-quote Henry Spencer:

        Thou shalt foreswear, renounce, and abjure the vile heresy which
        claimeth that "All the world's Apache-httpd", and have no
        commerce with the benighted heathens who cling to this barbarous
        belief, that the days of thy program may be long even though the
        days of thy current web-server be short.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat