long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jan 26 06:44:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 11:33 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 1:59 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu LTS is something that Canonical as a
> > > business entity as chosen to launch and leverages as part of its
> > > business model and is not in point of fact relying primarily on
> > > community manpower to make the LTS offering actually work.  Find me a
> > > business entity who would like to do something similar in Fedora space
> > > and I'll gladly talk to them about making room in the project.
> > There is one difference between Fedora and Ubuntu:
> >
> > * Fedora is backed up by an actively contributing community.
> > * RH/fedoraproject.org has the technical resources.
> >
> > There is only one thing missing: a culture of openness and a lack of
> > confidence into the powers of open development.
> >

> Ralf, no one but yourself is stopping you from being the catalyst for
> getting people to do this. See a problem, be the agent to make it
> better. When Fedora Legacy was falling apart you could have taken it
> over..
Sigh, I am repeating myself over and over again: Back then, I did offer
to contribute to Fedora Legacy under the "Fedora hood" when if it had
used the Fedora infrastructure.

Unfortunately, FESCO/FAB/FPB and RH shot any such proposal down and
insisted on keeping Legacy a separate project, using its own
infrastructure etc. Someday, out of blue sky, Legacy had been closed
down.

>  but it would seem you just wanted to save up your problems for
> later emails. If you want to make an LTS, then start it up. If there
> is a market for it, you can find the people and money to do so.
Exactly this is not what I intend.
I want to see Fedora's usability improved, because as a user I feel
Fedora's usability has regressed into "rawhide snapshot".

I tried to propose "extending Fedora's life time under community
control" as a compromise which I consider to be easily bought-in.

Unfortunately, I am facing fierce opposition and feel machine-gunned, by
a Fedora leadership of which I feel hasn't comprehended the powers of
community support in open source. I feel you guys, are thinking in terms
of enterprise product cycles, corporite commitments/ownership/control,
and fencing out "non-corporite members" and close your eyes in front of
the additional opportunities treating OSS development as an continuous
evolving process offers.

Openly said, in front of this background, I feel this Fedora leadership,
esp. the @RHs within it (probably due to their corporite background),
are standing in their own way.

Consider all proposals I made withdrawn - You shot them down.

Ralf